Nowadays Internet marketing has become a very wide spread activity. Marketers in order to reach more buyers and generate more demand for their business use a lot of different ways once in a while finding new methods for increase a site session of their Web pages.
Just recently one of the well-known real time marketing software firm Optify conducted a study, the aim of which was to find out weather it is possible to use breaking news as one of the ways to get traffic to marketers’ Web-sites. The study shows that it IS possible though it’s very hard to predict news’ surfacing.
But with the tips Optify suggests it becomes quite possible to be ready for breaking-news events and use them as a tool of sales promotion. Before giving direct tips let’s talk a little bit about the research and its results.
The study was carried out on the basis of two main search engines, Google and Bing. During the research three different categories of news events were studied by Optify – a worldwide event, a local event and a business news event. It should be also mentioned that Optify did not consider advertisements, only natural search results.
Analyzing breaking-news results and standard search results in two search engines (Google, Bing) Optify noticed that organic listings both in Google and Bing in breaking-news search in comparison to standard search results usually are situated at the bottom of the page. So it is a good opportunity for marketers to use the ‘above the fold’ space for their needs.
Another ‘finding’ of Optify was that for breaking news events both Google and Bing create SERPs though different ones. Optify’s CEO Brian Goffman says that Google tends to prioritize high authority sources while Bing tends to favor newness.
To be ready for breaking-news events marketers should comply with the following pieces of advice:
1. Format: Multi-format results are surfaced by search engines higher. The combination of video, description and comments to it is considered by search engines much more eye-catching and can drive more traffic
2. Social sharing: be the first on SERPs allowing other people to look through your content via social networks.
3. Google+: Nowadays Google+ has a preferential treatment even over Facebook, so implementation of Google+ on you site can considerably raise your chances to be on the leading position on SERPs.
4. Freshness, uniqueness and recency: don’t forget from time to time to update your site. Everybody likes sensations and newness.
5. News category and News XML: it will be better if you site is listed as a news site on search engines. A news site unlike just a site allows you to be surfaced in the news section more frequently.
6. Optimize, optimize, optimize: don’t forget to optimize your content.
7. Keyword strategy: a well-developed keyword strategy prepared for such stable news categories as Sports, Politics, Music etc. in advance can help you to increase you chances of being higher on SERPs.
8. Research keywords: attention should be paid that not everybody uses the same set of keywords. You should work out several ‘keyword strategies’ that will help to find your content.
9. Use social media to drive traffic: social media networks are becoming an essential part for everybody, make use of it.
10. Think like a publisher, act like a marketer.